When god is gone and the devil takes hold, who will have mercy on your soul?

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Olympic Medical Center - SSDD

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Mentally I pluck a flower from its stem, and then I pluck the petals from the flower, saying to myself: Should I touch you?  Should I touch you not?  Should I touch you?  Should I touch you not?  Obviously you don't play any conscious part in the decision.  What I mean is that it's not up to you.  You'll let me touch you.  You'll wait until I decide—you'll wait and you'll wait—if I turn around and walk away, you'll continue to lie there, waiting.  You'll wait until the end of the world.  You don't care.  It's not that you love me so much, or that I'm worth waiting for.  It's just that—you'll wait.  I know you will.

There is no indecision on your part.  There is no decision at all.  You're just there, like Mount Everest, waiting.  If it had ever occurred to you that you would provoke such a dilemma, you'd have probably
had yourself cremated—you'd have willingly jumped into a blender and ground yourself to a pulp just to make yourself repellent.  You'd have infected yourself with disease, smashed your nose with a hammer, tattooed NO TRESPASSING on your forehead.  You'd have obliged your heirs to mutilate your dead body or to rig up your grave with land mines.

Not that you're actually dead.  I can see your chest move up and down. I can see you breathe.  The life support has been removed, but the life remains—or appears to.  Your heart traces a little green wave across the EKG.  However, your brain does not trouble the electroencephalogram.  A flat green line neatly divides the screen into a top and a bottom.  There is no electrical activity in your brain. Your mind is gone, your head is dead, you have attained the medical minimum for shuffling off this mortal coil—you have attained the legal definition of death.  But is that dead enough for me?

A thousand years ago no one would have thought you were dead.  They would have held up a mirror to your mouth.  It would have fogged with your breath.  They would have turned to each other and nodded.

"Yes, she is still alive." Then they would have put leeches on you and bled you to death.

But now the case is not so clear.  Wires can sustain you, drugs can maintain you.  There are stimulants to inspire the heart.  But what happens when the shot of adrenaline wears off?  Coronary entropy?  Does the heart grind to a halt?  Or does it remain what it is, a dumb muscle dumbly doing what it dumbly did every day anyway?  It didn't need instructions or supervision before.  It did its work without you in the
past.  Why shouldn't it do its work without you in the future?

And what then?  Terminal coma?  Persistent vegetative state?  A body that resembles an untenanted house?  To be sure, it remains an admirable body.  You were born beautiful, and perhaps you will die beautiful too—though there are no guarantees.  You could hang on like this—in this twilight state, this crepuscular coma—into dreary old age.  You could become a wrinkled sack of flesh, covered with suppurating bed sores.  The nurses might find you so repulsive that they shudder to bathe you
with a sponge.  Your heirs will cremate your body to spare the worms from getting sick at the sight of it.

But you haven't changed yet, at least not physically.  Every allure you once possessed remains an allure in extremis.  True, fluorescent light is not flattering.  True, a hospital smock is not seductive. True, intravenous lines are not normally… Well, did I tell you the dream I had last night?

A strident sound filled the room behind her, ripping Letty from her reverie.  She would go as far as to say, it startled her.  This mage had begun becoming more and more inattentive at work, a shutter rippling through her frame as she became more aware of her surroundings again.  Maintaining her facade in this new town was starting to wear on her already.  An absent hand caressed the woman's face, knowing that she would never wake again.  No one handles having their soul ripped from them well.  Letty had witnessed a few that managed a few days before going catatonic, but this inamorata was not one of them.  

With a deafening ring, the relic attached to her hip signaled that she was needed for another one of her patients.  She silenced the beeper before leaving the room, chancing a lasting glance back before disappearing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://denocte.forumotion.com
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Upon seeing Leticia a nurse immediately navigated his way towards her, handing her what appeared to be a suspiciously sparse folder. A brief look at its contents would reveal that it was a John Doe - a list of the very few steps the hospital had taken upon receiving the new patient that she would be responsible for showing no known medical history.

"Hope you were looking for something interesting, Doctor," he said as he relinquished the virtually non-existent medical record, "Robert Denault, supposedly. Car accident - he hit a tree - luckily with nothing to his vitals. EMTs brought him in, seems to have a mild onset of shock and confusion and was getting aggressive so he was lightly sedated. Now he's just rambling." The nurse paused for a moment to take a breath as he rubbed his forehead slightly. Maintaining a professional distance he leaned in to whisper to her, "His license says Virginia but their DMV says otherwise - nobody by that name in their records. We have no medical history and no real identification. Police were already notified but its on us to do damage control until they've done their job." It was clear that while this may have been among the more interesting things that could've in recent time the nurse was not in the mood for mysteries on his shift.

Awaiting the doctor would be a man in his early thirties, a Caucasian with dark, shaggy hair and a few days' stubble. Although his body was slack his brown eyes and pale lips appeared to be open - albeit lazily - suggesting that the mild sedative wasn't enough to dull him completely. Adorning his face and arms were small bandages over what she could almost instinctively tell were nothing more than minor cuts and abrasions. The medical file indicated that more existed along his body, covered by the medical gown he wore. Also interesting were the notes from the EMTs that came attached to the file, likely meant to be passed along to the police at her earliest convenience:

Sober. No phone located.

"Can't-" the man started, his voice drawling as the sedative made it difficult for him to translate incoherent thought to imprecise action, "- see". Despite his words, his eyes were locked on the doctor's own, dilated and clearly reacting to the light present in the room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:03 pm

This wasn't the smallest town in Washington, but it has a much smaller crime rate and strangeness factor than compared to most of the united states.  If you wanted strange, you needed to go only slightly south west into the rainiest place in the united states.  Having no real information in it, Letty stowed it away with the blank chart that sat at the end of his bed.  Pulling out a small pocket sized led flashlight, flashing it on and off  each of his eyes.  His sight was intact and other than being a bit banged up, he seemed to be in nominal health.

"What can't you see?" Letty drawled as she pulled up a rolling stool, her eyes nearly squinting as though she was trying to see through him.
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:05 pm

"What can't you see?"

"I-", the man winced as he looked at her, coughing weakly for a moment, studying her more for a moment before exhaustedly staring blankly at the ceiling. "I can't see," he repeated before closing his eyes. Her nurse replied with a knowing look; he had been having trouble making sense of what the man was saying as well.

"Doctor Vess, a word if you may," came the voice of a female nurse from the hall. When the doctor and her nurse made their way from the room the petite nurse spoke confidentially to the two of them, "Reception just paged us; it seems the authorities have arrived and should be up here shortly."

"That was fast," her nurse replied, looking relieved. "One of the benefits of living in a pretty quiet city, I suppose. Anything you need from me, doctor?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 am

As a doctor, Letty didn't really like the cops. They were pushy and had priorities that didn't usually match with the hospitals. But even for a small peaceful town, she found their response time to be unusually quick. Eyeing the nurses, she came upon her decision without much thought.

"If you could get a blood sample for a tox screen, I'll deal with law enforcement when they get here." They weren't going to get much out of him at the moment, though if they wanted to handcuff him to the bed so that he couldn't leave, she wouldn't mind that either. Not that he seemed to be in any shape to go anywhere. but having him restrained might make it easier to talk to him when the sedative wore off.
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:02 pm

As her nurse prepared a screening for any toxins in his system Letty had barely a few moments to herself before a man dressed in the black of the police force was making his way down the hall. A Caucasian guy that was on the short and pudgy side, he made his way through the hall projecting an aura of casual, confident authority. He navigated the hall with little issue as he made his way towards the room of "Robert Denault". His badge, emblazoned with "PAPD", was perhaps a bit dull - likely a mixture of poor care and the fluorescent light.

As the man quickly navigated the hall everyone seemed to make certain to stay out of his way; it seemed nobody was particularly fond of getting in the way of the officer. As he made his way to the room Letty could feel a light push in the back of her mind - he was here for business and she should stay out of his way until it was through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Letty blinked through the pressure, not liking it or the person who seemed to be giving it off in waves. Standing her ground, she shut the door behind her as she moved to greet the officer. She gave him her best smile she could force on herself as he approached.

"Evenin officer. Think we could talk for a moment?" Her voice was light as she stood in the way of the door to indicate that she wasn't moving until they spoke.
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 am

"Evenin officer.  Think we could talk for a moment?"

The police officer eyed her suspiciously and within the moment Letty could feel an increase in the pressure in the back of her mind; what was at one moment a niggling feeling to stay out of his path became just short of an order to do so. A moment later, she would be able to feel a sensation she would recognize as tendrils moving across her mind, groping for -

"Mmm. You must be the doctor in charge." Came the voice of the officer as she suddenly felt her mind immediately relinquished. Upon seeing him again the "police officer" seemed entirely changed - a little taller but still overweight and not wearing a police officer's uniform at all. He was wearing what appeared to be regular street wear, though she could feel a nagging sensation at the edge of his clothes almost like his very fabrics were telling her that he was wearing an officer's attire. "I take it you can brief me on the situation somewhere... private." Whether it was the looming agitation in his eyes or the way his last word hung in the air didn't matter - she could tell that this was not a request but a demand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:15 pm

"Of course Officer, right this way." She spoke, maintaining her friendly facade. As her back left the door, there was a subtle click as the door locked itself.

"I think my office should do just fine for this occasion, hard to get more private than that." Though a few locations came to mind that were more remote and less likely to be disturbed. They didn't seem as official and some a little more cramped.

Her office was a decent size, it had bland looking carpet unlike most of the industrial linoleum that lined the floors in the rest of the hospital. An expensive African Blackwood desk took up most of the rooms space, with a another dark wood display bookcase taking up over half the north wall. Several degree's and books were on display. None of this was usually felt in a persons focus though as a very old well preserved skull sat on display behind one of the glass cabinets. Another bookcase lay on the west wall, taking up the rest of the walls space that wasn't taken up by the door or small window next to it. Though most of them appeared to be medical texts, others were in different languages and all seemed to be linked to one other subject.

The south wall sat a comfortable looking leather couch and the east wall was mostly glass with a door that lead to what looked like a patio that connected to another office. Embossed vertical blinds covered every inch of the window, giving Letty complete privacy when she wanted it. The room was currently dimly lit by one lamp that sat on the desk.

Taking a seat behind the desk, she offered the 'officer' a seat as she took hers.

"So what would you like to know?" There wasn't much she could tell him, but she felt like he knew more than she did.

Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 pm

The "officer" standing before her seemed tense still, glaring daggers at her in a way that made it seem like he was prepared to slice through whatever facade was in front of him. Given the way he was moving through her mind just moments before that wasn't exactly unlikely, either. The aura he was exuding was easy to read: a collected calmness, tensed into a razor-sharp precision. She got the peculiar sensation that although he hadn't moved his gaze from her he was somehow cognizant of everything in the room around them.

He didn't sit, but paced, though his eyes remained fixed on her. "While I would like to know what happened to my partner," he said dryly though the menacing yet analytical undercurrent of his gaze made his next statement obvious, "I would like to know who you are." He stopped, facing her squarely and folded his arms. It was clear that he was well aware of what she was. "Why are you here? Who are you with?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 pm

"Your partner, I would never have guessed." Which was true, she had come up with a few scenarios and ideas. This had not been one of them, nor had she expected the conversation to turn to who she was.

"Me? I didn't realize I was under such scrutiny. I believe the door says it all." Her voice remained friendly as she motioned to the door they came through. The words Leticia Vess, M.D. had been printed on the door in a very formal and boring font. She also had a plaque for her desk, but she had thrown that into the farthest corner of a drawer that she could manage. It was gaudy and it had seemed repetitive with it being printed on the door as well.

"Not sure what I can say that the door doesn't. I don't recall it being illegal for someone to move to a small town, though I suppose there are smaller I could have traveled to in Washington. But they don't quiet have the accommodations that this hospital does, nor the crime rate." Not to mention the several times more amount of rain that this state seemed to have. At least the mountain protected Port Angeles from a vast majority of it.
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 am

His face grew dour at her insistence that she was a mere doctor, "Is that so?" For a moment his eyes seemed like they weren't staring at her, but through her; not in a magical sense but rather like she not being looked at so much as she just so happened to be in the direction which he was facing. Then, as if woken from a reverie, he started to blink a few times in succession. "Wait. Something's not..."

His eyes closed for a brief moment, but soon their brown hues were trained on her once more with indignant rage. "WHO ARE YOU?" Although his voice rumbled his lips didn't move in the slightest, the disconnected voice reverberating throughout her head. She could feel the telling sensation of her mind being violated by his own, as though he had kicked down the door to a temple before he wordlessly continued, "AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY PARTNER?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 am

The feeling of someone shouting in her head was uncomfortable and she was starting to become annoyed. A smile spread across her face though, she felt like he was suffering from whatever his partner was. Her eyes became endless voids of black as she spoke next, everything around her feeling muted as she spoke.

"I am a great many different things, but I can assure you I am not a liar. So when I say I haven't done anything to your partner, assuming that is the man I am treating, you can take my word for it." The brunettes smile didn't fade even with the change in atmosphere.

"Why don't you start by telling me what happened. I can't exactly help if I don't know what's going on. Well, I can but it's much harder that way and I tend to lose interest sometimes. So as someone said once, help me help you."

This was at least changing up the monotony of humanity she had to maintain. But she also didn't like what threat it posed to her cover here. She really didn't feel like moving again.

Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:35 am

The moment passed like an eternity, but after what must've been careful consideration she could feel the force that had crashed against her mind slowly starting to ebb; that being said, she was aware that its presence persisted this time, able to feel traces of his mind still in the corners of her own. Considering. Calculating. Curious.

"Call me a skeptic," the pudgy man vocalized, relaxing his arms somewhat as if to show that he was giving her something in this trade, "But after a few years as an Arrow I do find it hard to put much stock in coincidence." His lips pursed slightly as though there was something bitter he was shifting around in his mouth, "But to sate my curiosity, if you found an unknown mage practiced in death magic presiding over your partner who seems to have lost his soul over the span of the last day what exactly would your conclusion be?"

The accusatory stare told her plainly what his understanding of events would be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:43 am

"Well aren't you somewhat informed, if not presumptuous." A drumming sound echoed from her desk as her right hand tapped rhythmically across the nice polished wood.

"Mages and their orders, so many rules and doctrines to follow. I find it much easier to stick on my own. Less trash to get in my way." She believed they had a word for someone like her, an Apostate?

"But souls are easily replaced regardless of how important they are to a person. I can't say I've never taken a soul before, but I can say I don't have his. If you have a spare on hand or some vagrant you don't mind castrating in a sense, I could fix him up really easy." Though they had another word that fit her better, reaper. Though that came with its own connotations.

"But you don't seem the type to have either though, so what do you plan to do?" Her collection only grew every week. But her collection had a greater purpose and she wasn't one to share, since that would just be one more she would have to get.
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 pm

His lips pursed again with that look of slight unease as he seemed to contemplate her words. Despite being a part of what could be considered the military wing of mage society he seemed relatively careful and deliberate - at least when his temper wasn't flaring. It was clear that he neither had souls at his disposal nor did he find the concept of stripping someone of theirs palatable even for his partner. That being said, just as well, he couldn't trust the validity of her words. Though he clearly could make an invasive course through her mind he seemed hesitant to do so; propriety, mage law, the struggle... probably some combination of those.

With a twitch of his lips he looked up at her, "Correct. I neither have souls at my disposal nor the desire to harvest them," he said in that way that let her know he wasn't fond of detaching them from mortals though with enough politeness that he likely tolerated people in his life who did. "That being said," he paused as though he didn't like what came next, "A cursory glance through Sawyer - my partner's - mind shows no recollection of you as anything more than his doctor." He exhaled deeply, as though he had just gotten something deep off his chest.

"I think our best bet will be to inquire with... er, 'Bobby'... about any details he can recollect." Without hesitation he made his way towards her office door.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:48 am

This was why Letty didn't like most mages, they always had preconceived notions of death magic. And they were such drama queens. He had been very, accusatory. And then when he calmed himself enough to find out the truth, he launched himself to question his partner first hand. Something he should have done right away instead of assuming so much. Sighing, she pushed herself from her desk and followed him back to her patients room.

He was starting to stir more, she wondered if they didn't use enough sedatives on him or if being what he was burning through it faster somehow. She pulled up a stool and took a seat, pretending to inspect her nails. "Well, this is your area of expertise. If you need my medical opinion or something to probe him with. I'll be right here, pretending to care."
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:19 pm

Looking even more exhausted than he did during her prior visit, 'Bobby' gave a weak smile when he saw his partner walk into the room. "Hello, doc, sir," he motioned towards the two of them as they made their way into the room.

"Okay, 'Bobby'," he said in that accentuated way that made it clear that he was forcing the guy's fake name, "You need to tell me what happened." At the mere mention of asking him to talk he immediately looked over at Letty and the false police officer just waved, "She's awakened, coincide-" he paused, "Don't even say it."

"Luck-", Robert coughed, "Lucky me." He grinned, but it was weak, marred.

"Fuck you, what happened?"

"Can't remember, nor can I see anymore," he said, holding his head. His partner winced at the words - he couldn't see, his eyes were closed. He was a sleeper once more. His partner placed his hand on the victim's head and closed his eyes. "Don't go where you aren't allowed..."

"Chill. Whoever did that was a second-rate hack, but thorough. Those memories are beyond repair," the faux-officer sighed deeply. "Do you remember anything? A face? Words?"

"All I have is this," And at that moment even if Letty didn't care what words were being exchanged between the two she couldn't help but feel the faintest bit of interest perk up as the officer replied.

"What. In the actual fuck."

"I guess I made it before they stole my mind. Before they stole my soul." There was a strong tone of remorse in his voice. "I just... don't know what it means."

"Dragons and fallen angels. Who the fuck did you stumble across?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:56 am

Lucky? Had his partner not showed up he may have become her guinea pig once she noticed his soul was missing. She found soulless beings interesting, each person seemed to have their own length of degradation. It must be embarrassing to lose your own after you awaken. She only seemed to be half listening until the atmosphere in the room changed and the word dragon and angels were mention. She actually raised an eyebrow as she thought of the concept of a dragon. She had lived for awhile and hadn't seen one before. If her concept of one was correct, having one was an appealing concept for her future plan for San Francisco.

"This all seems a bit big for Port Angeles. I assumed all freaky things were a bit more south on the other side of the mountain. What would fallen angels have to do here?" Letty was starting to feel a bit territorial, she had chosen this place for many reasons.

"And Dragons?" She just let that word linger, not having much more to offer on the subject other than curiosity.
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:13 am

"Ha, the really freaky things live beneath the mountain," the officer said with a wry smile as he removed his hand from the head of his partner. "Anyways, the mind is a fickle thing; best not to take it too literally. What he managed to preserve as a dragon could be anything... And I doubt a literal dragon - if such things even exist - would've just obliterated his mind and let him walk away."

His partner shrugged as if to say "meh"; indeed he was in the unfortunate position where he didn't have much else to go on. Being unable to vouch for your own memories was taking a toll on him and only seemed to serve to remind him that he didn't have a soul any longer. He could no longer take part in the greater works around him in the world that ran the world.

"That being said, I'll see if I can draw any leads up from that. We'll restore your soul in due time, Sawyer."

The ex-awoken patient smiled weakly, but was clearly not feeling too great about the situation. And rightfully so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crying Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:56 am

A literal dragon on earth would be an issue, the only ones she remembered referenced couldn't exist on this plane because their very existence fought against the consensus. But the idea was still very tempting.

"But that would have been a sight to behold, would it not? It might even top the Apocalyptic Forms of the fallen." She was letting her imagination run wild, she doubted she could avoid a paradox if she got what her mind was envisioning flying around.

"We could do a patch job and just borrow someone's for the time being?" She offered half heartedly, thinking of a few of the employees here who could go without a soul for a day or so. The thought put a smile on her face.

"Other than that, I'm not sure what use I can be. The only thing I can offer is the bottle of Mezcal in my office and a very particular set of skills I have honed over my life. None of which seem particularly useful at the moment."
Back to top Go down
nexas

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm

The two exchanged glances as the doctor described the appearance of a dragon as "a sight to behold"; it was increasingly clear that there was a likely a reason she was not a part of Awakened society. As she mentioned possibly patching his soul with someone else's the patient looked down in a wistful way while his fellow Arrow spoke for him, "No, there'll be no need for that. We will find the culprit and handle them appropriately."

The patient sighed, "Well... I've always wondered what the difference was between tequila and mezcal," a defeated tone tinted his voice. He cast a look at the doctor with a smile that had that seemed to be awkwardly balanced between forced and genuine, like he was normally a person that was able to see silver linings until the loss of his soul made even silver seem gray.

For a moment it looked like his partner wanted to reach out and say something, but instead he just stood firm for a moment. "Don't worry, I'll get to the bottom of this," and with that he turned and started making his way to the door.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Medical Center - SSDD   

Back to top Go down

Olympic Medical Center - SSDD
Page 1 of 1